Cranes and other construction equipment
Due to the potential physical and technical effects that tall construction equipment may have on airport operations, Southampton Airport should be consulted on any temporary obstacles of significance, such as cranes or other tall construction equipment in the area.
Southampton Airport refers developers to the British Standard Institute Code of Practice for the safe use of Cranes, BS 7121 Part 1. Paragraph 12.3.3 reads “The appointed person should consult the aerodrome/airfield manager for permission to work if a crane is to be used within 6km of the aerodrome/airfield and its height exceeds 10 m or that of the surrounding structures or trees”.
Article 73 of the Air Navigation Order also states “A person shall not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person therein.”
Southampton Airport Assessment Process
The application procedure for a crane permit from the 1st May 2017 will be as follows:
- Cranes within 6km of Southampton Airport and above 10m AGL will complete the Crane Authorisation Form found here.
- Using the information you have provided in the form, Southampton Airport will carry out a technical assessment of the crane.
- Southampton Airport will provide a signed permit should the crane pass our technical assessment, or alternatively a justification will be provided if the crane fails to meet our safety criteria.
- Additionally an invoice will be attached to our response detailing the charge as ticked by the crane operator in Section 13 of the Crane Authorisation Form.
- Payment can be made via a BACS transfer to Southampton International Airport Ltd using the details on the invoice or call 02380627187 to make payment via Credit Card.
- Should an extension be required, the crane operator should email email@example.com or call 02380627383 if urgent. An extension charge of £50 will be invoiced for the issue of an extended permit.
Crane application charges
The charges are as detailed below.
- Standard Crane Permit - £165
- Crane Permit (within 48 hours) - £275
- Crane Permit (within 24 hours) - £385
- Site Wide Crane Permit (More than 2 locations) – Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Extension - £55
For more information please contact email@example.com.