The main benefits of becoming Southampton Airports Charity of the Year is that all the income from the Runway Run will go directly to the chosen charity. This unique opportunity will be held on 25th June 2017 and is a 5k fun run down Southampton Airport’s runway at dawn. Being Southampton Airport’s Charity of the Year will also offer high profile publicity throughout the year through the use of Southampton Airport’s website, social media and PR.
For the chosen charity, Southampton Airport will also offer the chance for a further 4 fund raising events organised by the charity to be held at the airport during 2017. These should be events which are fun and engage with the airport passengers.
Managing Director of Southampton Airport, Dave Lees, says “This is the second year we have run this initiative and we hope to make an even bigger impact this year. We are looking forward to working in partnership with a new local charity or community group in 2017 to raise valuable funds for another great cause”.
Guidelines for applications for the Charity of the Year
- Those applicable will be registered charities or local community groups (e.g. schools, air cadets, scouts, etc.).
- The money raised should benefit the local community, with priority given to those communities close to the flight path.
- The charity must sit in one of the following groups - education, environment, economic regeneration or medical and health.
- Priority is given to charities who benefit a large number of people and the money raised should give long term benefits.
- Priority will be given to the charity that shows creative ways of raising the most money by using its links with the airport.
- Charities will need to have a dedicated team with skills in events, marketing and organisation that can work with the airport team in the lead up to and on the day of the terminal events and runway run.
How to apply
Charities will need to download and complete the application form which can be found here and return to SOUMediaCentre@southamptonairport.com by 24th October 2016.
Finalists will be asked to present to the Charity of the Year board on 4th November at Southampton Airport. The successful charity will be announced in early January.