Southampton Airport are offering a local charity an exclusive opportunity to become their 2016 Charity of the Year. The chosen charity will have a unique opportunity to work alongside the airport to raise valuable funds for their local cause.
The main benefits of becoming Southampton Airports Charity of the Year is that all the income from the Summer Solstice Sprint will go directly to the chosen charity. This unique opportunity will be held on June 12th 2016 and is a 5k fun run down Southampton Airport’s runway at dawn on one of the longest days of the year. Being Southampton Airport’s Charity of the Year will also offer high profile publicity throughout the year through the use of Southampton Airport’s website, social media and PR.
For the chosen charity, Southampton Airport will also offer the chance for a further 6 fund raising events organised by the charity to be held at the airport during 2016. These should be events which are fun and engage with the airport passengers.
Director of Marketing and Communications, Jan Halliday, “This is an exciting new initiative for Southampton Airport and we are looking forward to working in partnership with a local charity or community group to make a great impact in 2016.”
Guidelines for applications for the Charity of the Year
- Those applicable will be registered charities or local community groups (e.g. schools, air cadets, scouts, etc.).
- The money raised should benefit the local community, with priority given to those communities close to the flight path.
- The charity must sit in one of the following groups - education, environment, economic regeneration or medical and health.
- Priority is given to charities who benefit a large number of people and the money raised should give long term benefits.
- Priority will be given to the charity that shows creative ways of raising the most money by using its links with the airport
How to apply
Charities will need to download and complete the application form which can be found at: www.southamptonairport.com/charity and return to Elise Smith (details below) by 1st December 2015. Interested charities will be invited to a briefing at Southampton Airport to receive further information about the Charity of the Year on 16th November at 15:00.
Finalists will be asked to present to the Charity of the Year board on 8th December at Southampton Airport. The successful charity will be announced on 15th December.