- A little research and planning go a long way. A few weeks before you travel look up typical costs at your destination (e.g. tipping, food & drink, activities), start keeping an eye on exchange rates, and research if there are any restrictions on the amount of cash you are allowed to bring into a country – consider a prepaid card to overcome this if necessary. Try to estimate how much foreign currency you want, and need to take, for your trip.
- Pre-order your currency online for better rates, which are typically better than those displayed in branches. It only takes a few minutes and you’ll lock in the rate at the time of ordering. You don’t need to pay until you collect it, and you can pick-up right here at Southampton Airport as well as many other convenient locations - no need to make a special trip to the high street!
- Exotic currencies almost always need to be pre-ordered in advance – so don’t forget to reserve online with plenty of time to spare. Whether you need Euros and Dollars or Bahraini Dinar and Qatari Riyal, there are over 50 currencies available to reserve and collect at Southampton – particularly worth noting if you’re catching a connecting flight.
- Try the explorer multi-currency MasterCard; a safe, secure and convenient way to carry your cash while travelling and exploring the world. Since it’s prepaid, this can also help with budgeting while on holiday – although if you do need to load more currency this can easily be done online from anywhere in the world.
- Consider combining a mixture of cash and an explorer multi-currency MasterCard – a great solution if you aren’t comfortable carrying around a lot of cash.
- Avoid losing out on unused currency by asking for the Buyback Guarantee: this guarantees that we will buy back your leftover currency at the same rate you bought it (up to £1000), commission free. This is particularly useful if you aren’t sure how much currency you’ll need – it’s best to order more at a great rate and have some left over, than not have enough and have to top up at a worse rate!
Organising your travel money is very simple when you’re in the know. Planning ahead of time will see you in good stead, whether you’re heading off to Alicante, Paris, Verona or any of the other fabulous destinations available from Southampton!