Even though the summer holidays have only just begun, it’s never too early to start planning how you’re going to keep the little ones amused during the October half term. Plan early and you can take advantage of early booking discounts as well as giving the family something to look forward to (and, ahem, can always be used as a bribe for good behaviour over the summer months!)
Escape the chilly autumn nights in the UK and hop aboard a flight from Southampton Airport to some wonderful (and warm) destinations that are ideal for the small and big kids alike!
Go crazy in The Channel Islands
- Go wild and explore the wildlife at Durrell Wildlife Park, Jersey www.durrell.org/wildlife-park
- Let the kids make a splash at one of the UK’s top 10 beaches at St Brelade’s Bay www.jersey.com
- Calling all seafarers…discover the Shipwreck Museum in Fort Grey www.visitguernsey.com/fort-grey
- For the thrill seekers in your family, race them to the finish line at Karting Guernsey www.kartingguernsey.co.uk
The Channel Islands is a short 30 minute hop across the water with Flybe
Family fun in France
- Reach for the sky on the high ropes of Week ‘n’ Go in La Rochelle www.weekngo.com
- Blow away the half term cobwebs with a ride on a steam train from Limoges station www.trainvapeur.com
- Let the kids see themselves in the magnificent Miroir d’Eau (or reflecting pool) in Bordeaux www.bordeaux-tourism.co.uk
- Ride the awesome waves of Europe’s top surfing beach, Hossegor, Biarritz www.francethisway.com/places/soorts-hossegor.php
Flights to France from Southampton Airport are no longer than 2 hours with Flybe
- With stunning blue flag beaches, the historic old town and plenty of fun day trips an easy transfer from the town.
- Experience the Katmandu theme park with an upside-down mansion, enchanted forest, interactive aquarium, soft play and rides. www.katmandupark.com
- Adrenaline-seeking kids will love Aqualand El Arenal, Majorca’s biggest waterpark. www.aqualand.es/elarenal
- Marineland offers a full family day out with attractions, displays from dolphins, sea lions and so much more. There’s even a mini splash park to cool down in. www.marineland.es/mallorca/
- For children who love their history, a visit to Pollentia is a must where a Roman archaeological site and museum takes you back to the 2nd century.
Alcudia is no more than 2 hours 20 mins with Volotea